Flying with the Tigers

05 September 2006

My Life is odd

Every now and then something odd happens to people and they say "Hmm that's odd." I seem to have that happen on a more than frequent basis.


Last Thursday was the beginning of a set of oddities. It started while I was riding the elevator at my building, nothing strange right? Wrong, one of the buttons flashed and a voice came from the speaker asking for Laura. I was getting telemarketed inside of an elevator! I promptly looked around and said that there was no Laura present and that they had the wrong number, this was an elevator. They asked "was I sure?" I said that I was pretty sure that I was in an elevator and there was no Laura at this number.

On Monday my father told me that he was taking a trip down the Rhine river, in Germany with his wife for seven days on his current trip to Europe. That right there was very odd in its self, because while my dad doesn't mind roughing it, his wife is used to a certain amount of luxury while traveling. Think four stars and above, those of you who've met her know what I mean. Now I can't wait to see what happens aboard their cruise ship the MV Heidlberg.

Then today, Tuesday, I went for a haircut to a barbershop that I frequent called State Street Barbers for a cut. Its a decent shop that has been doing my hair for about two years now. I like it because the barbers actually listen to you when they ask what style you want, not just give the same cut that they've done for the past fifty years. Anyway while getting my cut the barber starts humming along to the music from XM satellite radio, the early Broadway channel. Not odd except that the barber is a straight mid-twentysometing black man. That's odd.

Anyway I hope that my week doesn't get any odder, or I might not be able to handle it.

3 Comments:

  • The ship has a spa, so perhaps LuLu will be satisfied. I'm not saying she definitely will, but perhaps now she'll last three days rather than my initial prediction of one.

    From what musical was the barber humming? If it was something from "Oklahoma!" or "Annie Get Your Gun", I'd agree with you that it's waaaay strange. If it was something more modern, like "Rent", then it's not as weird. Either way, I'd probably get along with the guy really well. If it was Andrew Lloyd Weber, I would've been annoyed on principle.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 5, 2006 at 2:21 PM  

  • It was stuff from the thirties and forties. I heard Judy Garland at one point in the mix.

    By Blogger The Big Man, at September 5, 2006 at 5:55 PM  

  • Uh, how exactly do you know he's straight? Swing and a miss on the down low?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 17, 2006 at 11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home